If the USCIS does not adjudicate (approve or deny) the EAD application within 90 days (within 30 days for an asylum applicant), the applicant may request an interim EAD. The applicant may make inquire about an interim EAD request at a local USCIS office or by contacting the USCIS National Customer Service Center by calling (800) 375-5283 or (800) 767-1833 (TTY). An interim EAD request should be made by scheduling an appointment at a local office through USCIS’s InfoPass system. If the initial application cannot be completed at the time of inquiry an interim EAD may be issued.

The alien applicant must go to the local USCIS district office with proof of identity and any documents that the USCIS has sent the applicant in regards to the employment authorization application.