During a successful career as an attorney with one of the nation’s largest law firms, Anwari Law Firm founder Dee Anwari counseled many clients on complex business law and immigration matters. Now businesses and individuals can get the benefit of this results-driven experience at the Anwari Law Firm.
Dee’s legal experience includes work as an attorney at LeClairRyan, PC, the National Railroad Passenger Corporation (AMTRAK) and the Fairfax County Circuit Court. Dee is a graduate of the top tier George Mason University School of Law in Arlington, Virginia, where she earned her Juris Doctor and was the Articles Editor of the Journal of Law, Economics and Policy. She received her Bachelor of Science from Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, Virginia.
In the areas of corporate and franchise law, Dee utilizes a common sense, “can-do” approach to issues, particularly as the law relates to clients’ business strategy and development. Her prior work as an attorney at LeClairRyan, a nationally respected business law firm, gives her the experience to provide sound, practical legal advice to large, established corporations and small businesses in a variety of industries. Dee’s work in the Fairfax County Circuit Court further benefits clients, giving her unique insight in how to draft contracts and agreements to prevent litigation and save clients the cost, time and trouble of going to court.
Recent results Dee has achieved for clients include*:
- Successful, expedited sale of a private media company to a national media conglomerate. This transaction required the management of significant indemnification issues, multiple purchase price adjustments, software licenses and spin off of a separate business of the seller.
- Sale of a profitable Virginia orthodontic practice, including negotiation of an employment agreement between the selling orthodontist and new owner. This transaction involved intensive due diligence and negotiation of a non-compete clause.
- Obtained Virginia SWaM (Small, Women-owned and Minority-owned Business) Certification for a Virginia sign-making company. This transaction involved working with the Virginia Department of Minority Business Enterprise to quickly obtain the certification in time for the company to bid on a large contract which led to a significant increase in their revenue.
- Successful negotiation and documentation of multiple leases for central Virginia gas station owner. This transaction involved multiple properties and several subleases.
- Representation of prospective franchisee in connection with negotiation of franchise agreement, entity formation and commercial lease issues. This transaction involved identification and successful negotiation of several red flags in the franchise agreement.
- Successful defense of data processing company during Virginia Unclaimed Property Act audit. This transaction included identifying exemptions and drafting a company Unclaimed Property Policy to ensure future compliance.
- Expedited large scale legal compliance audit of one of Virginia’s largest banks. This transaction led to Dee developing a new director independence policy for the bank to ensure future compliance with federal and state regulations.
- Drafted complex employment and stock option agreements for high level bank executives in one of Virginia’s largest banks. This matter involved crafting non-compete provisions and performance-based vesting of stock options.
In her immigration practice, Dee concentrates on working with companies, academic and non-academic organizations, and non-profits to help them acquire the highly-skilled foreign national workers they need. Dee also works with deserving individuals and families to assist them in reaching their immigration goals in the United States. Whether that goal is to reunite with loved ones, escape persecution, or fulfill professional dreams, Dee’s extensive experience helps to make each client’s dream a reality.
Below are a few examples of results she has achieved for clients*:
- Successful suit against U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services for a client whose citizenship application was delayed for 10 years due to an FBI name check. The Assistant U.S. attorney in the case settled the matter and the client was granted U.S. citizenship five months after filing suit.
- Conducted I-9 compliance review of local business to ensure compliance before Immigration and Customs Enforcement audit, including drafting of written compliance policy
- Successfully obtained O1-A extraordinary ability visas for two local university professors
- Advised and filed successful applications in connection with naturalization and family based immigration matters for individuals and families from many countries, including Mexico, Afghanistan, Guatemala, Honduras, Ecuador, Panama, El Salvador, Mexico, Columbia, Peru, Iran, Pakistan, Somalia and Ethiopia.
When she’s not practicing law, Dee makes giving back to the community a priority. Her past pro bono work includes serving on the Board of Our Forgotten Warriors, a 501(c)(3) charity assisting disabled veterans, acting as General Counsel to the Virginia Asian Chamber of Commerce and providing legal advice to the Petersburg Junior Generals Baseball Club, a non-profit youth sports team.
Phone: (703) 348-8448
* Case results depend upon a variety of factors unique to each case and do not guarantee a similar result in any future case.