Are you a lawful permanent resident (green card holder) leaving the U.S. for a year or more for employment purposes? If you want to apply for naturalization (citizenship) in the future, you should file form N-470, Application to Preserve Residence for Naturalization Purposes, so that the time you spend outside of the U.S. will count toward the residency requirement for naturalization.

USCIS has just published a revised Form N-470. USCIS will accept older editions for 60 days, but starting on April 12, 2013, USCIS will only accept the revised 1/03/2013 edition, so make sure to file the updated N-470 if you are applying for this benefit.

The revised Form N-470 can be found at

Keep in mind that the N-470 is different from a reentry permit, which you should also apply for if you will be outside of the U.S. for a year or more.

Questions regarding this or any other immigration matter? Call us at (703) 348-84448 or send a direct email to Dee Anwari at

Posted in: Uncategorized