Published by the American Immigration Council 

Temporary workers–such as those in H-1B state–typically can bring their spouses and children with them to the United State in what is H-4 status. Many of those spouses have careers of their own or otherwise need to work to support their families. Providing work permits to the spouses makes the United States an attractive place to work. Therefore, since 2015, the federal government has granted work permits to certain spouses of H-1B workers.

This fact sheet provides an overview of the H-4 visa category, details the characteristics of H-4 recipients, explains the work eligibility of certain H-4 spouses, and describes the benefits of continuing to allow these H-4 spouses to work.

To read the American Immigration Council’s fact sheet, click here.

Posted in: Immigration